Sunday, January 17, 2016

Strengths and Challenges in Communicating

Communication plays a great part in my daily life. It helps me to convey the proper message by adding on different characteristics such as tone, emotion, formality, posture, gesture etc.

I believe my greatest strength would be being observant. I realised many people tend to use their gestures or tone to communicate, instead of just their voice. And if you are not careful, things might go wrong. Throughout the years I observed how people communicate with one another. And I found out that it is an important role in communication. It can restrict me with words that can bring destruction to our talk. Whenever I’m consoling someone, I wouldn’t talk about unhappy moments at all. Rather by observing the situation, I will bring up happy memories to calm him/her down. (Sometimes food helps too!)

My greatest weakness is that I do not to talk much in groups. I used to be an introvert when I was young, even in my closest group of friends I can’t bring up to them. I was afraid that I might say something wrong which could offend someone. So I always keep things to myself. Hardly will anyone know the real side of me. Placing a mask and hiding my true self can be lonely sometimes. Till now I’m still facing this problem although there is much improvement as compared to my younger days.

Over the years communication has helped me improve a lot to who I am today. In communication, every day is a new discovery. I have learnt to build up my strength and use my strength to improve my weakness. By observing i learn from others, from an introvert to an extrovert shows that my communication skill have improve. However, THIS IS NOT THE END!

8 comments:

  1. This is not the end!

    In terms of Johari Window, this fits the Turtle profile.

    I hope you get more opportunities to explore and experiment responses that you feel that might be "wrong". Who knows, the outcome might be different from what you initially expected.

    Having typed that, I also hope that you learn to express yourself and open up to people. Opening up gives you more avenues to receive feedback. Especially so when you want to improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes after a sem with all of you I have learn to open up to everyone and express more without having the fear of saying the "wrong" words.

      Negative feedback do hurt sometimes, but on the other hand it also help me to reflect myself and change to be a better person.

      Thank You! No one is "wrong"!

      Delete
  2. This is not the end!

    Well said, CS. I agree that communication is an essential part of everyday life. I can see that you're a very observant person and due to this, you know the right things to say. Keep it up!

    I think one way to improve your communication in a group setting is to step out of your comfort zone. And don't be afraid to offend people if you need to do it to get your point across. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is not the end!

      We can draw a box with the exterior as "comfort zone"

      And when we step into it, do everything that is out of our comfort zone and into our non-comfort zone.

      How about that?

      What do we wanna do in this non-comfort zone?

      Any suggestions?

      Delete
    2. Both of you are right about that! I should step out of my comfort zone. It's a good opportunity to explore and understand others more, As well as know who I really am.

      Well, non-comfort zone should have no restrictions to anything, no boundaries with each other. Just let us be free to communication. No hard feelings!

      Delete
  3. Hi cs,
    I strongly agree that communication plays a great part in everyday life.
    Imagine a world without communication, what life would be like if we had no way to communicate our ideas and thoughts?
    I’m surprise to find out that you were once an introvert, I am an introvert too! Mind sharing some tips on how you change from an introvert to extrovert?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you started it off . Apart from that, the post is also easily relatable. I find it very interesting. Good job chor sheng. My advice for you is that don't give up and to go out of your comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chor Seng!

    I find your blogpost really relatable. I used to be (and probably still is) very quiet with a large group of friends, fearing i would say the "wrong" things and offend people.

    This can be looked at in a positive light though, because then it shows that you are more careful with your words and you actually care enough to not offend someone's feelings. I'm sure you have encountered someone who speaks their mind all the time and it can sometimes bother you or hurt your feelings.

    However, this should not stop you from expressing yourself. You must also remember to not be afraid to show people the real you! To expose yourself more, i suggest you get involved in more CCAs. Speaking for myself, i joined ToastMasters to build my self-confidence and it has helped me a lot.

    Hope this helps you too :)

    Regards
    A fellow introvert

    ReplyDelete